Why do students choose creative writing as a major? Firstly, the profession of a creative writer is widely popularized throughout the media, and this certainly impacts young people’s decisions when they want to pick an interesting future path (that will be well-paid as well). Secondly, this major provides students with a great deal of useful skills necessary for many jobs out there:
- Critical thinking;
- Creative way of thought;
- Effective self-expression;
- Analytical skills;
- Editing/proofreading skills.
If you’ve made up your mind in favor of creative writing, this is a great choice. And to help you achieve your ambitions, we’ve compiled a list of 7 best East Coast universities where you can become a Bachelor in creative writing.
- Columbia University Location: NYC, New YorkThis university offers writing workshops and seminars in combination with studies of literature to broaden writer’s perception and analytical skills, though the main focus is still on the workshops. There, students write poems, fiction and nonfiction works as well as submit them for revision and feedback to their professors and group mates.
- Emory College Location: Druid Hills, GeorgiaApart from traditional exploring of one’s writing talents throughout the course, Emory College allows students to choose specific genres as specializations. Moreover, it organizes meetings as well as question-answer sessions with famous writers specially for its students.
- Hamilton University Location: Clinton, New YorkHamilton University has 2 concentrations within the course: literature and creative writing. The comprehensive approach to teaching and subject handling gives it a chance to divide the course into history, genre, theory, intermedia, theme, etc. with a focus on important details.
- Brown University Location: Providence, Rhode IslandBy enrolling into Brown University, you get 4 writing workshops in 2 genres (at least) and 6 reading courses. They will allow you to practice and improve your writing skills as well as discover your talents and interests.
- MIT Location: Cambridge, MassachusettsMIT’s Comparative Media Studies department offers students an undergraduate program that consists of 6 subjects within creative writing and 3 subjects within literature. Here it is also possible to choose a genre to develop writing skills in a narrow direction.
- Johns Hopkins University Location: Baltimore, MarylandIn this university, you have an opportunity to explore fiction and poetry writing, learn the technique of prose and poetry creating and get to know more about its history, and take part in active reading of some major literature works.
- Dartmouth College
Location: Hanover, New HampshireThis college has a smartly developed programs for students who want to study creative writing, but have never had a try in it. The course starts with an introductory part moving on to reading fiction, poetry and nonfiction as well as writing them.
These 7 educational institutions are your best shots at getting a degree in creative writing because they provide high quality education and are prestigious enough to fill in a space in your CV. Look through your options and follow your dream of becoming a writer!